genuine / collaborative / inclusive / empathetic / user obsessed / coach / trusted partner / team builder / thematic thinker / pro-active / insatiably curious / relentless / risk manager / positive enabler
I love a challenge and I love to work with people – to bring engagement and discovery, to collaborate with people smarter than me and to solve difficult problems. I wake up every day ready to ask why, dive deeply into a users' expectations, discover delights, uncover issues and then build an informed case that weighs perceived benefits with business goals which often leads to a solid solution.
VP, Global Head of Digital – Product Leader
8/2020 to 11/2021
Phillips is the third largest international auction house and specializes in 20th century art, watches and jewels. Hired as a change agent, grew department from 1 to 20 people in the first 8 months and was interviewing for 10 more roles. Charged with transforming the customer experience from 225 years of paper, FAX and email-based interactions to digital-first online and in-app user experiences.
- Developed a three-year digital and in-person overarching roadmap marrying digital in sync with business strategy. Devised vision and identified performance indicators to support strategic direction in alignment with executive team, global leaders and stakeholders. Prioritized product scope and future state based on user feedback and data. Controlled $2.8M budget and vendor relationships for the product portfolio.
- Drove comparative and competitive analysis to inform product strategy and improve capabilities compared to nearest peers. Championed user-centric design to unify the client journey. Evaluated digital art world products to determine business impact of new features.
- Engaged Brightedge SEO & Content Marketing Platform to guide recommendations for marketing and corporate content, scrub code to adhere to web standards, drive keyword decisions for SEM spend and direct metadata keywords based on competitive analysis.
- Committed to building a culture of empathy, integrity and infusing user-centered principles into everyday actions. Mentored teams and individuals, always advocating continuous learning to inspire and promote innovative thinking.
Strategic Initiatives Include //
- With ‘new accounts’ conversions up 377% on average from 2019 to 2020, directed scope and team to design and build their first fully digital registration process. Included 'Know Your Client' third party software to have an 84% reduction in onboarding time, reduce headcount and replace the manual processing of identity documents through email and FAX. This would lower risk and remove the probability of identity theft.
- Hands-on coaching of legal, finance, MKTG and IT stakeholders of complex NFT sale, from consignment to blockchain smart contract transfers. Produced an end-to-end workflow in sync with Web3 specialists for $4.3M sale. Led all vendor, metaverse and platform research.
- Conceived a new product leveraging Articker, an internal art publication tracking tool, and piloted to select clients. Built awareness on how Articker's predictive analytics provides insight into emerging market trends as a panelist at Columbia Business School's Art Business Innovations webinar series.
- Improved digital viewing experience due to gallery restrictions by integrating Cappasity, a video-based platform with hi-rez zoom and 360˚ view of sculpture, watches and jewelry. Offering heat-map analytics, this increased engagement and maximized bidding interest.
- Delivered Mandarin translations in five weeks before a critical sale in Hong Kong, in partnership with Chinese auction house Poly. A bespoke homepage marketed specific high value lots and drove conversions with local registration to the sale, which netted $58.2M.
- Scaled production workflow by outsourcing content management work to offshore team in Mumbai to support a 200% increase of online auctions and a 37% increase in objects at sale. Supervised pipeline optimization including photography, video and SEO standards.
VP, Managing Director, UX & Front-End Engineering – Product Leader
4/2007 to 8/2020
AllianceBernstein is an asset manager with $779B in AUM as of Spring 2022. With strategic leadership, goal setting and risk management across UX/UI, Front-End Engineering, Product Management, Project Management and Quality Assurance, maintained high-quality throughput to launch 50+ complex digital B2B and B2C features and products a year.
- Designed and delivered firm-wide Axis Bold Design System to establish global branding, improve customer experience and specify interaction design consistency while incorporating regional priorities. Included 65+ Investor, Advisor and Institutional sites and deepened strategic partnership with IT leaders with rollout for their 900+ internal applications.
- Co-led digital transformation with Adobe Experience Manager, driving requirements, guiding all UX/UI, user testing and development workflow in sync with our own design system.
- Using 'Jobs to Be Done' technique, interviewed sales leaders across Europe to understand their needs in that moment: motivations, goals and challenges. Designed the Digital Advisor product which would integrate real-time user data to place relevant insights, whitepapers and funds along their journey. Incorporated document storage and a chatbot for peer-to-peer communication, leading to greater engagement and enhanced Advisor sales tools.
- Improved content marketing for the AB blog Context and client segment libraries by implementing a restructured taxonomy plus the data driven IDEO software to 1) make personalized recommendations on 'what to read next' based on the user's reading patterns and 2) guide blog writers on 'what best to write about', based on aggregated reading habits.
- Informed by deep analysis of blogs and online magazines, expanded author profiles to increase SEO authority and drive conversions, and improved usability for quicker access and deeper engagement. Besides winning a Webby Honoree Award, this redesign led to a 33% lift in page views, a 14% increase in LinkedIn followers and an average of 116% increase in new subscribers, month over month.
- Boosted organic search referral traffic conversions through sizing changes in content strategy, consistent OG metadata tags and adding dynamic metadata search values.
Leadership, Growth & Execution //
- Employed articulate, customer-centric messaging to build consensus during ideation and design – and product positioning to motivate adoption during rollout of all product launches.
- Fast-paced brainstorming and problem solving, usability testing, lean agile methodologies, deep user research, experience design and prototyping motivated a cross-functional team for 3 months to launch new financial services fund centers in 6 countries, 4 languages and 3 audiences across Europe. This outperformed all previous team successes.
- Planned a series of events to promote mobile first mindset, human centered design and general user-centric awareness at a firm level. Workshops leveraged design thinking, encouraged partnerships, sped knowledge transfer and deepened employee engagement.
- Fostered a collective bond through engagement, passion and respect. Encouraged inclusion by nominating junior partners with leadership skills for growth opportunities and creating a culture of diversity by inviting different voices and viewpoints from every person.
- Influenced the team to transition to Nashville with the corporate move, recruited Full-Stack and UX instructors from the local professional development school to complete the growing team and transitioned all remaining agency functions to Nashville.
- Established AB Marketing Services Young Professionals Program through key college outreach at NYU, Stevens Institute of Technology, Bryn Mawr College and the University of Michigan. Successfully placed and mentored 2-4 interns each semester, primarily 'women who code' who have now gone on to work at SLACK, American Express and NBC Universal.
Co-Founder & Chief Product Officer 2/2015 to 11/2018
The concept of my7 grew out of an idea for curated ecommerce and landed in the form of social media. This personal social space is where you can share what you love; curate your seven favorites in your most meaningful seven categories. As CPO I led the vision, user experience, visual design and guided developers to build, QA and launch the hybrid app for both Android and iPhone. Tough space to break into. Launched in mid 2016, we shuttered the doors in 2018. But the design still holds up even if the marketing wasn't strong enough to break through. On to the next one!
Sr Business Analyst 9/2001 to 4/2007
Designed internal CMS ecosystem and workflows that enabled non-technical teams to create complex intranet sites independent of UX/UI Design, Front-End Development or IT Engineering departments. Application design and documentation for multiple sales enablement applications, based on complex user stories, to enhance business practice for AB Institutional Pension Advisors.
Online Retail Partners, aka Accordia
Director, Front-End Development
With strong leadership skills and attention to detail, recruited by CTO of $100M 'bricks-to-clicks' eCommerce incubator to lead digital merchandising innovation, grow development teams and scale ongoing production for DicksSports.com, ZanyBrainy.com and ULTA.com. Partnered directly with CEOs and presidents of each .com to strategize, brand and build their first online channels.
Manager, Front-End Development
As employee #2, led software development for the launch of Barnes & Noble’s first digital experience from a fledgling 50-page online catalog to a multi-category Amazon rival selling books, software and music. Drove every redesign; guiding strategy, visual design and development in coordinated effort with outside design agencies such as Organic Design and Roger Black’s Interactive Bureau.
- School of Visual Arts, New York, NY
BA Graphic Design
- Product Experimentation Sprint
Section4 / Karan Girotra (2022)
- Complete Manager Sprint
Section4 / Michael Bungay Stanier (2022)
- Storytelling Sprint
Section4 / Will Storr (2022)
- Product Engagement Sprint
Section4 / Nir Eyal (2022)
- Product Strategy Sprint
Section4 / Adam Alter, PhD (2022)
- Organizational Design for Digital Transformation
MIT Executive Education (2022)
- Business Strategy Sprint
Section4 / Scott Galloway (2022)
- Persuasive Leadership
Wharton Executive Presence and Influence (2022)
- Digital Marketing
- Digital Photography
School of Visual Arts NYC
- UX Intensive
Adaptive Path DC
- Web App Summit
Adaptive Path NYC
- Project Management and Database Analysis
NYU, School of Professional Studies
- Presentations…and Beyond
- An Event Apart: Seattle, Chicago, Orlando
- L2 Digital Leadership Academy
- 99u Conference
- The Next Web
- Gartner Marketing Symposium